Welcome to the School History Page
Selby Abbey Church National School opened in 1858. The present buildings, which still form the core of our town centre site, were founded in 1896 to provide “Church teaching for the Church’s Children.”
In the 1870’s the master of the Abbey school was reported as overworked. He, along with the help of a pupil teacher, taught between one hundred and twenty and one hundred and thirty children in six groups.
In the inter war years of the twentieth century two additional wings were built. The school now accommodates three hundred and eighty children. Throughout its history the school has maintained strong links with Selby Abbey. Children regularly visit the church for both educational activities and worship.
Our Tradition is to provide good education Christian care and respect help and encouragement growth and development for everyone.
‘Our School today is a thriving and friendly learning environment’
Schools can prove excellence by gaining industry standard awards. View awards we have attained.
Free News Service
Click on the icon to the left to subscribe to a free RSS feed school news service.
You can also follow us on social media. Click on the icons at the very bottom of this web page.