Welcome to the History Page
Selby Abbey Church National School opened in 1858. The present buildings, which still form the core of our town centre site, were founded in 1896 to provide “Church teaching for the Church’s Children.” In the 1870’s the master of the Abbey school was reported as overworked. He, along with the help of a pupil teacher, taught between one hundred and twenty and one hundred and thirty children in six groups. In the inter war years of the twentieth century two additional wings were built. The school now accommodates three hundred and eighty children.
Throughout its history the school has maintained strong links with Selby Abbey. Children regularly visit the church for both educational activities and worship. Our Tradition is to provide good education Christian care and respect help and encouragement growth and development for everyone. ‘Our School today is a thriving and friendly learning environment’
You can also follow us on social media. Click on the icons below or at the very bottom of this web page.
Free News Service
Fill in the online form at the very bottom of this web page to receive regular emails each time something new is posted into the website.
Contact Us Form
Panoramic Tour of School Resource Areas
Site Map and High Contrast Links
Click on the links in the footer area to gain quick access to all of the website.