Welcome to the Governors Page
Each school in the state system has a Governing Body. The Governing Body plays a key role in helping oversee the strategic direction of the school and works in partnership with the Head teacher and Senior Leadership Team. The overriding aim of the Governing body is to ensure the delivery of a high-quality education for all pupils in its care.
The Governing Body has the following core strategic functions:
Establishing the strategic direction, by:
- Setting and ensuring clarity of vision, values, and objectives for the school
- Agreeing the school improvement strategy with priorities and targets
- Meeting statutory duties
Ensuring accountability, by:
- Appointing the headteacher (where delegated)
- Monitoring the educational performance of the school and progress towards agreed targets
- Performance managing the headteacher (where delegated)
- Engaging with stakeholders
- Contributing to school self-evaluation
Overseeing financial performance, by:
- Setting the budget
- Monitoring spending against the budget
- Ensuring money is well spent and value for money is obtained
- Ensuring risks to the organisation are managed
At Selby Abbey CE (VC) Primary School Governing Body we have the following different types of Governor on our governing body:
Elected from parents at the school by parents at the school
Local Authority (LA) Governor
Appointed by the LA
Elected from staff at the school by staff at the school
Appointed by members of the Governing Body. They are intended to be representative of the local community and may add particular kinds of expertise.
Appointed by the York Diocesan Board of Education after consultation with the Parish.
We have two committees that report back to the Full Governing Body:
- Finance, Staffing and the Environment Committee
- Curriculum, Children and Extended Services (CCES) Committee
You can also follow us on social media. Click on the icons below or at the very bottom of this web page.
Free News Service
Fill in the online form at the very bottom of this web page to receive regular emails each time something new is posted into the website.
Contact Us Form
Panoramic Tour of School Resource Areas
Site Map and High Contrast Links
Click on the links in the footer area to gain quick access to all of the website.